Monday, March 05, 2007

Whatcha talkin 'bout

So I went to another open mic last night. I have been doing a few of these, but what made this notable was it was at the Mutiny. For those that don't know, the Mutiny is a famous dive bar that has remained a dive without selling out. Anyways, it is a tough vulgar crowd, so I called an audible and scrapped my Fortran jokes and inserted my child abduction jokes. It went over well, but then I tried my Bill Clinton joke and an old man with a gray beard and shoulder length srcaggly hair objected. "You're making us think!" he exclaimed. Yes. Yes I am. That's what people are doing most of the time.

I reconciled with him after the set, he said he actually liked it; bought me a beer; and told me his joke which I can't repeat here because this is a family blog. I can, however, tell you the punchline. The punchline is "cream soda".

Instead of just walking away and saying "those aren't my people" I have decided that next time I go back I will not bring material, but instead try my hand at crowd work. I fully expect to crash and burn the first couple times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home