Thursday, August 04, 2005

Chicago, it's like I never knew ya!

A couple of days ago, some friends and I packed up a minivan and drove north-east towards the Canadian border, and eventually onwards to my home-town of Toronto for a couple weeks of R&R. Chicago, have you noticed?

Maybe it wasn't as good for you as it was for me. But I swear, it's me not you! It's me that feels the need to move to the rival city of New York. I promise I'll represent you well. You introduced me to great cultural activities and your circle of friends always gave me pause to think. Your beautiful lakeshore is really second to none, and I wish all cities had such great infrastructure and public transport.

Don't worry, I will always love your hot-dogs and pizza. I will always love your corrupt-but-who-really-cares mayor. He loves you too. In fact, all of your citizens love you, and you love them back.

So Chicago, do you miss me as much as I miss you? Maybe it's now that I really understand/appreciate Carl Sandburg's famous ode to you.

You took me in about three years ago, and you made me a man.

It's me not you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home